Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sunshine Family Series 2

As the Sunshine Family became more popular or perhaps to make them more popular Mattel did a re-design of the clothes. 

Steve was given jeans instead of khaki pants and another red turtleneck in a brighter color with different fabric. His shoes were also a darker color. Stephie had the more significant change. Her old fashioned dress with the apron was replaced with a more modern jumper dress over a short sleeved red shirt. Her hair was a little shorter on this version and styled differently too. She also had more blond color than the more natural blond of the original series Stephie. Baby Sweets remained the same and in the same yellow sleeper outfit.


The Third Series will be shown in my next post and had the most radical change for Steve, Stephie and Sweets of all. As a child I only had Series 1 dolls and never even knew about the second or third Series until I was an adult.. Which Series did you have? Which you you like best?

10 comments:

Sunshine said...

I LOVE the Sunshine Fun Family! I was born in 1972, so I guess I was just the right age for it. The clothes are bright and happy. I can't imagine why they stopped making them. Now I am buying up the old sets online for my daughter.

Anonymous said...

I had the sunshine fun family in the yellow box. I have many fond memories of these dolls

Anonymous said...

I love the Sunshine family... takes you back to simpler times... I Love the recycling factor making things from scratch and having your own recycling house... so cool.. so fun and so GREEN.
SWEETS still makes the best BARBIE baby too!

James

discodiva1979 said...

I love these dolls! I am a thrifter and found the house still in the original box in EXCELLENT condition with the series 1 dolls. Today on my thrifting excursion I found all the "star spangled" series of the dolls including the entire sunshine family SERIES 1 all MIB. Definite score if I might say-to pass on to my granddaughter when she is at least 9. Till then I may debox and photograph.

Rapunzel said...

I love theswe dolls too. They came out when I was a teenager, and I was getting to be such a long-haired, long-skirted little hippie chick that my mom couldn't resist buying them as a surprise for me! They looked like me and my first boyfriend.

Now my current boyfriend and I look like the grandparents, haha!

LaVonne said...

Awesome blog! I loved my Sunshine family! I had series 1, but series 2 looks familiar for some reason. I didn't know about Happy family. I would have loved to have them, too.

I don't know why these haven't made a comeback. A lot of little girls don't like Bratz and Barbie for the same reasons adults don't.

Anonymous said...

Trying to find pictures of a snap together van - does anyone remember that with the Sunshine family??

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to find this blog. I was telling my daughter about the Sunshine Family, so we searched and found this blog. How wonderful to know others love the Sunshine Family dolls as much as I do. I wish Matel would create these dolls again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the interesting history and pictures. I loved playing with these dolls and hope to get some for my kids!

Mikki said...

Hello from Ireland! I absolutely love this blog and refer to it often. I do hope one day you will continue with it.